Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Misery of Resolutions

I'm sure I'm not alone in my dread of making resolutions. We all have the best intentions, and this is the time of year where we really let them shine. But there is something about New Year's resolutions that I find to be disconcerting.

I don't know about you, but I do it every year. I make a list of resolutions that I really want to keep, but by the end of January (even sooner some years), I find they have gone completely by the wayside. And then I end up feeling even worse about myself.

January is named after Janus, the god of the doorway in Roman mythology. I find this symbolism fitting, as a doorway is something you can both look into and look out of, meaning this time of year is a time to both reflect on the past and look forward to the future.

Rather than set some lofty resolutions this January and feel guilty when I haven't met them perfectly, I want to change it up this year.

First, I want to reflect on what went well this year and what I wish had gone differently. Based upon those assessments, I can make some real goals for the change I want to see.

I already know one major personal goal for 2014 is time management. I tend to take on more than one person can possibly handle, and get myself so overwhelmed that I actually shut down in functionality. Sounds like a lose-lose, doesn't it? So I intend to be more conscious of my actual time each day, create better lists and plan ahead.

What's your "doorway plan?" What will you reflect and make change on for 2014? Please leave a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment