Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Joy of Dishwashing

Here it is--the one place where I spend A LOT of my time during the day, especially after dinner. But, before you feel all sorry for me and tell me I should make my husband do the dishes more often, let me tell you two things.

First, I am fortunate to have a husband who is a very good cook (better than me, even, unless it involves baking) who makes dinner frequently. Second--and this one may shock you--I actually like doing dishes...

The reason that I like to do dishes is because it's an opportunity to sneak some mindfulness into my day. Dishwashing is a natural mindfulness practice in itself!

How do you do it effectively? Just keep it simple. Really focus on the dish in hand, the soap, the water and try to let everything else fall away. A mantra as simple as "I am washing dishes" can help you keep your focus on this one task you are doing.

Washing dishes is something we all (should) do on a daily basis. What a perfect way to bring some mindfulness into your day.

What other daily tasks could you use in your mindfulness practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment