Friday, October 11, 2013

Working Toward Mindfulness

Mindfulness is a topic I find myself more and more interested in, especially how it can carry over into my parenting. I think it can be a very useful tool for parents to have in their "belt," especially during those moments where you feel like either: a) screaming at the top of your lungs or b) walking away...far, far away. (And I do advocate walking away in the heat of a moment at home with your kids, but not far, far away and definitely not when walking away might compromise their safety--i.e. the public domain).


During quieter moments, I envision myself as serene as Buddha, sitting cross-legged with my fingers poised just so, elbows balancing on my knees. Ready to take on anything in this same manner of serenity.

And then reality hits! What happens to my serenity when I have been asked for the fifth time to help with something I know can be done on one's own as I am attempting to put together a healthy dinner in a timely manner?

I found this quote: “You cannot control the results, only your actions.”
Allan Lokos, Patience: The Art of Peaceful Living

I quite often tell the others in my family something akin to this: "You can't control what someone else does or says, but you can control how you feel about it."

Yes, I often tell the others in my family these words, but do I actually live by them? I'm going to start trying! Lokos' quote seems like a good daily mantra to incorporate into my routine.

By the way, I also came across some Mother Teresa quotes and, since I think she was pretty amazing, I had to include one for a strong finish:

“What can you do to promote world peace? Go home and love your family.”
Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment